The festive season is now officially upon us and we are kicking the festivities off with a scrumptious Ginger and Christmas cheesecake with ginger sauce from BBC Good Food.
It’s a taste sensation, guaranteed to get your bells jingling!!
- flavourless oil, for greasing
- 2 x 200g tubs full-fat cream cheese
- 100g mascarpone
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 medium eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 1½ tbsp plain flour
- 100g Christmas pudding, crumbled (use an individual one if you don’t have any leftover, or a rich fruitcake)
- 1 ball stem ginger from a jar, plus 5 tbsp syrup from the jar
- ¾ Jamaican ginger loaf cake, sliced into 1½ -2cm-thick slices
For the sauce
- 100g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 100g butter
- 100ml double cream
- Heat oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 5. Grease and line a roughly 1.3-litre ovenproof pudding basin with 4 strips of baking parchment, criss-crossing the bowl like spokes of a wheel. Beat the cream cheese, mascarpone, vanilla, eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until combined and light. Fold in the flour, Christmas pud and stem ginger, then spoon into the prepared tin. Carefully put in the oven.
- Check after 1 hr – it should be set with a slight wobble; you may need to give it 10 mins more. Remove and allow to cool slightly (it will puff up, then sink a little). Brush with 1 tbsp ginger syrup, then arrange the ginger loaf cake on top, pressing to form a base. Brush with 1 tbsp more syrup, then place a saucer on top to press down. Chill for at least 4 hrs (or up to 2 days).
- To make the sauce, bubble together all the ingredients plus 3 tbsp ginger syrup in a saucepan until syrupy. Turn the cheesecake out onto a serving plate and serve with the hot ginger sauce.
Christmas joy on a plate!